Sunday, October 19, 2008

Free CFLs in Providence!

Yes, Free! Project 2020, started by Brown University students aims to replace all the light bulbs in low and middle income homes in Providence with Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs and therefore reducing greenhouse gas emissions. They take their name 2020 from the average number of light bulbs that they exchange at each home, 20 in and 20 out.

I signed up at the UN Day of Peace festival in Providence and 2 days later I got a call from Lanny at Brown University asking if he could come that afternoon. Lanny brought a partner in crime and in a whirlwind they took 23 bulbs out of my house and put in 23 new CFL bulbs (which are actually donated by Walmart). I am so excited as I have slowly been making the transition a few at a time when I can find a good deal on them. I can't wait to see how much we save on our electric bill.

I was sure this was too good to be true, it is not! Providence residents can sign up here http://www.proj2020.org/signup.php

No comments: